Table of Contents
If you’re trying to improve yoursocial media marketing strategy, statistics are the perfect starting point.
Social media statistics give you valuable insight into who your audience is, their interests and habits. This helps you tailor your marketing strategies to boost engagement and ROI.
Stats can also help you benchmark your own performance within your industry and even uncover new opportunities.
Use the social media statistics below to guide your presence in 2023 and beyond.
Facebook remains an advertising powerhouse. Whether or not brands should focus on Facebook is a tough question that really depends on your individualFacebook metrics. The followingFacebook statisticscan clue you in further.
- Facebook is themost-used platform by marketersworldwide (90%). Instagram sits in second place (79%).
- 2022年第四季度,Facebook是最大的在线的社会al network in the world with roughly2.96 billion monthly active users.
- 70% of American adultsuse Facebook
- An average American spends33 minutes per dayon Facebook.
- 56.6% of Facebook usersare male and 43.4% are female (based on available gender data.)
- Almost aquarter of Facebook usersin the US are between the ages 25-34.
Facebook remains a favorite among marketers. That’s not surprising, considering the massive reach offered by the platform. Plus, the increasing average age means more users are in high-level, decision-making positions in their careers.
- Instagram is the king of social selling. For consumers, it offers the best in-app shopping experience of any app. For marketers, it offers thehighest ROI for selling products.
- 61.2% of total Instagram usersare between the ages 18-34.
- Reels take up30% of the timepeople spend on Instagram.
- Instagram’s engagement rates arefour times higherthan Facebook (0.60% to 0.15%), but have been continuously decreasing.
- In 2023,29% of marketersplan to invest more on Instagram than any other platform.
Once the go-to social platform for influencers, Instagram is facing challenges from the likes of entertainment platform TikTok and its younger base appears to be dwindling.
Still, relatively high engagement rates, freshecommerce featuresand big ad spending signal that the future is still bright for Instagram.
Pinterest often doesn’t get its due when it comes to social platforms. The platform’s diverse, big-spending audience is among the most dedicated and engaged of any network. Here are some topPinterest statisticsto look out for.
- 450 million peopleuse Pinterest every month.
- 76.7% of Pinterest usersare women, 15.3% are men and 8% are unspecified.
- 45% of Pinterest usersin the US have a household income over $100K, and21% earn $30K or less.
- Pinterest is thesecond-most visited websitein the US.
- Pinterest usersspend twice as much monthlyas people on other platforms.
The power ofPinterest advertisingis well-documented and the platform is the perfect place to uncover new products. Also, marketers targeting a US audience would do well to include Pinterest in their marketing efforts.
TikTok has totally transformed itself to a must-have digital platform for brands. The platform’s rabid fanbase, rapid growth and sky-high usage spell great news for early adopters. Below are some interestingTikTok statisticsto know about.
- TikTok hasover 1 billion active usersworldwide.
- TikTok is the most frequently used app worldwide, with users spending an average of23.5 hours per monthon the platform.
- TikTok’s user base skews female, with54.1% of users identifying as women(based on available gender data.)
- 38.9% of TikTok users are18-24 years oldand account for the largest share of TikTok’s advertising audience.
- 78.9% of TikTok usersare looking for fun or entertaining content on the platform.
Younger consumers and smaller influencers dominate the platform right now, but that may change in the very near future. If you’re already on the platform, make sure to watch yourTikTok analyticsand how to reach your audience ASAP.
Twitter has cemented itself as the hub of political discussions, memes and a prime place to go back and forth with brands. Take a look at theTwitter statisticsbelow to understand more about marketing on the platform.
- Twitter boasts about556 million monthly active usersin total worldwide.
- 53% of Twitter usersuse the platform to get the latest news.
- More than half (63%) of Twitter users are men (based on available gender data.)
- 71% of marketersplan to spend less time on Twitter in 2023.
- US adults spend an average of34.8 minutes dailyon Twitter.
The rise of features likeTwitter Spacessignals a window of opportunity for the platform to really earn its wings again.
To compete with emerging platforms like TikTok, the second-largest search engine in the world is making some big changes. Here are the topYouTube statisticsto know about.
- As of January 2023, YouTube has over2.5 billion usersworldwide. However, the platform’s active users have decreased by 48 million over the past year.
- YouTube Shorts get30 billion views dailyfrom users around the globe.
- 12% of YouTube users aremales aged between 25-34, and 9% are females of the same age (based on available gender data.)
- People spend an average of19 minutes per daywatching videos on YouTube.
- Nearly90% of all visitsto YouTube come from a mobile device.
Despite a slight downward trend in growth this year, YouTube is still users’ go-to video-sharing platform. With more people accessing the app on mobile, though, marketers would benefit from posting more short-form, vertical content (i.e. Shorts) on the platform.
Influencer marketing statistics
Working with influencers is one of the best inbound marketing strategies being used today. Here are some statistics about which influencer platforms marketers are leveraging, what they’re hoping to achieve and how they plan to executeinfluencer marketingin the future.
- Instagram offers thehighest ROIto influencer marketers, followed by YouTube and Facebook.
- 56% of marketersuse TikTok for influencer marketing, making it the most popular influencer marketing channel.
- Generating more engagement, reaching new audiences and strengthening community are thetop three marketing goalsfor working with creators.
- 67% of marketersplan to spend more on influencer marketing campaigns in 2023.
- 63% of marketersplan to use AI in launching their influencer campaigns. And 2 out of 3 of these brands will use AI for identifying influencers.
More marketers are realizing the potential of influencer marketing. If influencers are not already part of your marketing efforts, it’s time to switch your focus. The key is to pick the best platforms and influencers for your brand, both of which can be automated using the right tools.
Consumer behavior statistics
The concept of buying something you saw on social media is nothing new. From product recommendations to first impressions from brands, theimpact of social media on consumersis well-documented.
- More consumers report finding the perfect productby seeing a targeted ad (49%)over an organic post by a brand (40%).
- Themajority (71%) of livestream viewershave purchased something via social media.
- Gen Z shoppers anticipate making more purchases onInstagram, TikTok and Snapchat,而婴儿潮一代Facebo计划购物更多ok.
- 41% of Gen Z and Millennialsmake an impulse purchase online every 2-3 weeks. On the other hand, only 10% of Baby Boomers can say the same.
The recent growth of direct social sales is notable. Consumers likewise crave authenticity and ads that don’t feel like ads. But the key to selling on social is to know your customer, which platforms they prefer and how their unique buying behavior works.
Use social media statistics to guide your strategy
Learning the latest social media marketing statistics is key to fine-tuning your strategy and setting smarter goals.
Are there any opportunities on new networks? Do you need to shift from organic content to ads (or vice-versa)? Should you double down on what you’re doing now?
We hope our social media statistics help you find the answers. Combing through them is totally worth it — you should bookmark them if you haven’t already.
After reviewing these stats, make sure you check out our roundup of the topsocial media management toolsto help you maintain a memorable and consistent social presence.
Additional resources for Social Media Statistics
50+ of the most important social media marketing statistics for 2023
The social media customer service statistics brands need to know in 2022
5 stats for social media marketers in the software industry
5 stats brands need to know to engage Irish & UK consumers